I couldn't even think of a title for this latest post. I don't even really know if I can put this week's events into words. But, I'll try. It all started with the news on Monday that a dear man from the church in Allison that Stephen has spoke at many times had passed away. His 3-year battle with cancer was over. He had heard our family sing over the years and had requested that we sing at the funeral. Unfortunately, my dad would not be able to get off work so that meant it would be just mom and I. Mom came over Tuesday night to practice. We planned to sing a song called "Look for Me" and the other song requested was "Blessings." Well, of course it was! The song that has kicked my butt so many times over the past month or so, the song I couldn't get through without tearing up, and now I was being asked to sing it. Yikes! God was going to have to do a miracle here.
Wednesday was my 35th birthday. Yes, I am now officially old enough to adopt from Haiti! Yippee! Let's just say I'm not exactly thrilled about this fact, but it is what it is and life goes on inching ever so closer to the dreaded 40's. My mom told me she will officially feel old when I turn 40. Thankfully, I'm not there yet. It felt very appropriate that I went to a wake on my birthday. Kind of put everything in perspective. The man who died was only 51. After a weekend of remembering 9/11 and then seeing loss up close and personal, I really got very introspective. And a little depressed. Life is fleeting. We must cherish each day the Lord has blessed us with.
Thursday was the funeral. God and I had a little talk that the only way I was going to get through this was to be numb. Just concentrate on the job that I had to do, focus on the words and notes and He would take care of the rest. "Look for Me" went as smooth as it could have, no mistakes, no sour notes. Many of you might know that "Blessings" has taken on a life of it's own. It has encouraged countless people and has struck a chord with many who are hurting for many different reasons. The Lord carried us through, as He always does. (Why do we doubt His power?) I don't know how He did it, but He did. Thank you Lora Story (writer of "Blessings") for your great words of wisdom and encouragement. .."but the greatest disappointments, or the aching of this life, is a revealing of a greater thirst, this world can't satisfy. What if trials of this life, the rain the storms the hardest nights, are your mercies in disguise". I am so thankful this world is not my home.
When I got back to the house that afternoon, I felt I deserved comfy pants and coffee. So I sat down with my laptop, Kitty purring by my side and opened up my email to see these beautiful faces. Oh what joy after so much sorrow and sadness.
Stephen and I officially celebrated my birthday today. I picked him up at 3:30 and we decided to see the movie "The Help." I highly recommend this movie. It will make you laugh, cry, and want to punch the screen several times. It's hard to imagine that just a few short decades ago we were segregating and discriminating people because of the color of their skin. I could say a lot more about this subject, but I'll leave it at that.
After the movie we went to the Olive Garden. Wouldn't you know it but the table right next to us had a little guy that was acting just like Samson. We enjoyed his antics and his playful banter. I turned to look at Stephen and our eyes met filled with tears. Once again, our hearts ached for our children so far away from us. Children that we have only spent three days with but our hearts have knitted tightly together with each passing day. When we got home, we had an email from Patrick waiting for us. God is good isn't He?
For the first time we have measurements of the kids! Check these out!
Lydie:
Weight: 23 lbs
Height: 82 cm
Head Circumference: 46 cm
Samson:
Weight: 22.3 lbs
Height: 77 cm
Head Circumference: 48 cm
And some more new pictures!!!



Joy, Laughter, Tears! My emotions have run the gamut reading this! Fitting that you went to a funeral on your b~day! ;)
ReplyDeleteThose babies are such cuties!!!
So...I see you thought about 'it!' ;)
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a very blessed week!
I've missed you! There is so much of 'nothing' I'd like to chat with you about!
Love YOU much!!!
Samson weighs only one pound less than Lydie! Even though he's her little brother, he's going to be her big brother!!
ReplyDeleteI hope that this coming week goes better...has some lighter times for you. I'm glad you could get into your comfy pants and spend some time to restore your spirit. Give Kitty a snuggle for me.