We received word that on October 2nd our dossier was delivered to the USCIS in Haiti. When I read the news, a huge weight had been lifted, followed by a few moments of nervousness.
We have been waiting 2 years to bring Lydie and Samson home. During that time, the Lord has molded us, healed us, strengthened us. We have developed friendships that will last for eternity. We've learned about bonding issues, abandonment issues, and a little bit of creole. We've learned how to make Haitian rice and beans and we've learned all about car seats, toddler beds and cartoons.
Often times we have heard comments from other parents like, "oh you just wait" or "your life will never be the same." These statements aren't meant to be positive but poke at the fact that so far our lives have been pretty easy because we haven't been parents. I probably would agree with them. I know parenting is the hardest job on the planet. I get that.
Most parents become parents the fun way. You know what I mean. We are becoming parents through agonizing silence and waiting, fears of cholera and hurricanes. We've endured background checks, psychiatric evaluations, mistakenly shredded documents and the death of our adoption processor.
I am not looking for sympathy. Everything we have endured these past 2 years will be rewarded with two of the most amazing kids I've ever laid my eyes on. They are worth all of this. So when I hear comments from some about how parenting sucks, it makes me sad. It makes me sad for their kids, because kids are not stupid and they listen to what their parents are saying.
We don't know for sure how long this last step will take. It could be one month or it could be two. But we know that God will give us the grace to finish what He has called us to do. Then the real fun begins....
thanks for the update.
ReplyDeletei was wondering about this...
Our family is rejoicing with you over here in NC. Praying for quick passage through
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing Nome! And God continues to make you even more amazing! So wonderful to hear this news and we will continue praying for you, Stephen, Lydie and Samson.
ReplyDeleteAnd when they get here, yes, the real fun begins! (and you know I mean that with all sincerity...)
Love ya Nome!
Wonderful post Naomi, how many times I too have heard “you just wait” you have no idea! It’s true we have NO idea! But HE has given these beautiful children to you and Stephen (and the girls to us) and I can’t wait! Because we don’t have any idea, none of us ever do. But we have HIM and HE knows… xOxOxO
ReplyDelete(I’m not good at writing, but you know what I mean)
So excited for you, and praying it is a very short wait now! :)
ReplyDeleteYAY!!!!!! Oh Naomi, i have been praying & praying (somewhat selfishly) that our kids will be able to meet at Christmas-time....regardless, just so thankful for this good news. I feel like you & Stephen are such incredible examples of patience & deeply rooted hope to all of us- I can't even imagine how excruciating (sp?) the past 2 years of waiting have been....but you are right- God's 2 little blessings will be with you soon & no matter how wonderful/easy/hard/life-changing it will be- you will be a family living under the same roof. AMEN. :) -Jenny :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your journey! We are also adopting from Haiti, and it's comforting to know others who are going through the same process! Praying for your children to come home quick!
ReplyDelete