I didn't know when it would happen or how, but I knew it would happen eventually. It's the moment as an adoptive mom when you realize you are really a mom and these are your kids.
Last night we were putting the kids to bed. Lydie was throwing a little fit so Stephen took her downstairs to spend a little time in the time-out chair. Samson was being really sweet, smiling often at me. Part of me felt he was smiling just because his sister was in trouble and he was not. We continued to smile at one another while I stroked his sweet head.
Stephen and I have told Lydie and Samson "I love you" often and we sometimes use the kreyol words for I love you as well. (Mwen renman ou). Lydie and Samson wouldn't really respond to these words until this week. They would repeat the English words I love you but not the kreyol. We figured they didn't really understand the English and were just repeating us.
So last night I'm sitting next to Samson's bed and I feel the urge to put myself out there. I decided to speak the kreyol for I love you and see how he would respond. "Mwen renman ou, Samson." Then, in the sweetest voice I've ever heard, I hear my son, for the first time, telling me he loves me in his native tongue. Be still my beating heart. Oh yes, I cried.
This morning it was kreyol I love you's non-stop from Lydie and Samson. It's hard to even describe how amazed I am of them. I try to put myself in their shoes and I just can't. If I were them I would be curled up in a ball in the corner of a room somewhere in a pool of tears. They are doing so well and they are so happy. We are on an amazing journey!
So many tears of joy for you. I am sure your heart is bursting.
ReplyDeleteThat is so amazing!! Enjoy the journey :) Merry Christmas....I'm sure this year will be VERY exciting! :D
ReplyDeleteAwesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteSo very happy for you!
ReplyDeleteMaybe that will always be your special way of telling each other you love one another.
ReplyDelete