Thursday, February 23, 2012

To be like this...

I write this with some heaviness in my heart because so many of my close friends and readers have lost a parent or never had parents quite like these. I've struggled with how to write about two people that hold so much of my admiration and adoration.  Tears come to my eyes as I try to express my thoughts here.

But as I reflect on the job of parenting and who I want to be, my only logical choice is to look to them as my Godly examples.

Here's some facts I can share with you about these two:

-They are still in love with each other. They are best friends and have each other's backs.

-They have a passion for music and ministering to people through it. Recently they have started a ministry in a small community near their home which has suffered a lot in the last few years. God has blessed this tremendously and it continues to grow!

-They are prayer warriors. Dad fervently prays for each of his kids and grandkids on the way to work each morning. Mom has a spiritual gifting of prayer and I know she has been on her knees many times praying for us throughout our lives. Often when I was young I would find her in her prayer closet alone with the Lord praying for dad and us kids.

-They are two of the nicest people on the planet. They rarely have a bad word to say about anybody and they are quick to forgive.

-They love to have lots of fun! I think dad's philosophy in life is if it's not fun it's not worth doing!

-They know that they have their shortcomings and are not without fault. They are open and honest about the struggles they have faced in their lives.


Recently I received this in the mail from my dad. I don't know if I've ever actually received mail from my dad specifically, it's just not his thing. But, when I opened it, I cried. I'm not sure if he realizes it, but this has to be one of the most loving gifts I have ever received from him. He knows that life really can't be lived well without the Word of God. To know that he cares about my spiritual life and health means more than anything.

I want to be like this. Sure, they are not perfect, they would be the first to admit that, but they are a lot to live up to.

I love you mom and dad. Thank you for being...you.


4 comments:

  1. i am so happy God chose to give you such wonderful God fearing parents. after all we can't choose our parents & in most cases we can not choose our children either. what a gift it is that one day samson and lydie will be able to say "my parents chose me." "they chose me!" you will be a wonderful mother naomi...i just know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our convo on Friday is particularly eery after reading this post. It was already on your heart when we talked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH yes and i agree with Rebecca - you and Stephen are gonna be out of this world parents, because you lean on God. All the time. I love you for that and you are a good example of that for me in my life with Jason too.

    love you,
    Rachi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet, sweet post. Godly role models are priceless.

    ReplyDelete