Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Drunk Man

I can't sleep. It's Sunday, 12:15 a.m. and I have to work tomorrow. God's speaking to my heart. LOUDLY. He's been speaking things to my heart for several months now, but tonight it's blaring so loud I can't hear anything else.

Tonight we were sitting on our porch reading our books when an old man came walking up the sidewalk. He was mumbling to himself. As he got closer we both realized he was very drunk. He nearly fell over into our bushes in the front of the house and wandered back and forth on the sidewalk making his way to his house a few doors down. For a moment, my focus was directed inward. "What if this guy can't find his home and tries to go into ours instead?" But soon a huge wave of compassion swept over me.

We spent the afternoon getting to know a couple in the church we've been attending. He used to be a heavy drug user, alcoholic, abusive. Then, Jesus delivered him. He's a new man, a new creation. It was an amazing testimony of God's healing, saving power.

...So back to the old drunk man. Maybe a few years ago I would have chuckled a bit as he wandered down the sidewalk. Maybe I would have shook my head in disgust at his lack of self control. Not tonight. Tonight, I wept inside. I wept for a soul that's lost. I wept for those who are wandering. I wept for those who are chasing after things that will not fill their empty hearts in the end.

I've been pondering a message I heard several weeks ago. A specific question was asked and I cannot shake the thought or the answer to. 100 years from now, the ONLY thing that will matter is "what have you done with Jesus?"

As I listened to that incredible testimony this afternoon, I rejoiced. God IS still in the business of delivering people. He is the Great Shepherd and He is so gentle. He goes after the sheep that has wandered from the flock. He has an incredible, unending love for us.

Realizing the love that Christ has for me spurs me into action. All of a sudden, my heart starts to want what His heart wants. It grieves for things that grieve Him. Then He starts asking me to do things that might be a bit scary at first. But He is 100% trustworthy and soon the uncomfortable things He's pushing me towards become real possibilities.

He's working on my heart and that's a good thing. He's asking me to take another step of faith and that's a good thing too. What is He asking you to do?


1 comment:

  1. You have an amazing way with words, Naomi! Bless you for sharing this with us. And thanks for having such a heart of compassion!

    ReplyDelete