Sunday, October 16, 2011

Good Things

I can be a bit of a pessimist. I often look at this world we live in with a bit of a ho-hum attitude. My friend Rachel once said, "stop the world, I want to get off." I get that.

Most of the world doesn't live the way we do.  After traveling to Haiti my perceptions changed even more. How can I enjoy this fancy $30 meal when my kids are eating rice and beans tonight?

Several of the blogs I read regularly have been tackling the issue of poverty theology and prosperity and how that all fits in the life of a believer.  I am still working this out in my mind and heart.  I don't know if I'll ever understand why we are so blessed when others are not. Over and over I hear the words from U2's "Crumbs from your Table" in my mind...."where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die."

What I do know for sure is if we have been blessed, we need to find a way to bless others.  James 1:27 says
Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.

Is adoption enough? Is it all God has called Stephen and I to do? I don't think so. This is a lifetime calling to see the needs of the world and do something about it if we are able. I just have to pray that God would reveal these things in my heart and be willing to go where He wants me to go.

Yesterday I enjoyed life. And I think that's okay. Ecclesiastes 5: 18-19 says: Here is what I have seen: It is good to enjoy the good of all his labor in which he toils under the sun all the days of his life which God gives him; for it is his heritage. As for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, and given him power to eat of it, to receive his heritage and rejoice in his labor-this is the gift of God. For he will not dwell unduly on the days of his life, because God keeps him busy with the joy of his heart.


It's kind of funny that I need a Bible verse to validate the fact that sometimes I find enjoyment in life. 


Last week my mother-in-law and I filled this entire truck with walnuts and leaves! Our 90-year-old neighbor who recently moved away gave us this wonderful gift for all the years we helped her out. It's a walnut picker-upper! Technically called a Nut Wizard. God bless the inventor of this little do-hicky. You have saved my life! It's actually fun to pick up walnuts now!


My Mother's Day gift from Stephen was a lemon tree. It's been so fun to watch the lemons grow on it. Earlier this summer a squirrel stole the lemons. So, I have taken all of his walnuts. Take that squirrel!! 

I spent a good amount of time observing this guy yesterday. The last time I saw a praying mantis was probably 20 years ago! They are a little alien-like aren't they?




My sister-in-law has raved about this little joint in downtown CF. I finally got a chance to stop in and see what all the fuss was about. There was a line out the door people! This place is the bomb! Missing in this photo are "Razzle Dazzle" and "Wedding Day." They are in my tummy. 

One of the difficulties in parenting two kids from an impoverished country will be to avoid the pitfall of spoiling them too much. I would feel like a failure if I found them protesting on Wall Street some day because they felt they didn't have enough. 

Thanks for listening. This blog is cheap therapy for me so thanks for letting me lie on your couch and blab. 

Enjoy these latest pictures of our babies (although they are not looking like babies any more).






Lydie & Samson

 (our heritage)

4 comments:

  1. Where was that walnut picker-upper thingy when we lived down the street??? I always relied on the little old man who wanted walnuts!

    Those mantises are HUGE & out in force this year! One landed on me at the outdoor CCR concert a few weeks back! Ickyyyy!

    Hahahaha! Marshal & I were just griping about 'the business going down on wall street!' If your kids protest hopefully they know what they are protesting ~ like bedtime they could protest that! Ha! Did I say we were griping? Change that to present tense! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious babies!!! I enjoyed reading your thoughts here. Just found you through Rebecca and wanted to stop and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi naomi, so glad i found your blog tonight. your sweet lydie has taken to helping out one of the little girls in her room who doesn't walk very well. i wish i could catch her holding the other girl's hand in a pic, but haven't been successful yet. and yes, samson is running. crazy, but true. blessings to you dear one.

    ReplyDelete